Sunday 10 June 2012

Trust your Training!!!! Binbrook Triathlon

Got my first legit triathlon under my belt and it feels fantastic.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't incredibly nervous going into it, although I don't have to lie because everybody knew it.  the try-a-tri's were great, and got me addicted to triathlon, but this length is a whole new ball game, against some hardcore competition.  I don't have any visions of grandeur but I wanted to finish and finish feeling strong.  I just had no idea what to expect, how I'd handle it or how I'd feel.  I wanted to think I'd trained hard to the best of my abilities, but you just don't know the payoff until you do it.... well it paid off, mission accomplished, I finished and I finished with a strong competitive time.

As for the day....

Arrived in good time to get my transition area set up in the rain!  Weather was not ideal, but I'll take the rain over the blistering heat.  It was a pretty relaxed atmosphere, lots of pretty bikes to look at (bad for my addiction), and I stayed pretty calm.  After the pre-race talk got into my wet suit and got in the water.  Did a 100-200m swim warmup, just took it slow and easy, got used to the water and the wet suit and just really tried to calm myself down.

SWIM
Before I really knew it it was time to start and I was in the first wave.  All I focused on for the swim was my breathing and going slow and steady.  Although I didn't have anywhere near the swim training and endurance I do now, in my previous tri's I started off way to strong and panicky, lost my breath early and had to breast stroke to catch my breath.  Not this time, I just fell into a comfortable pace early and kept it.  I tried to keep on some peoples legs and draft but it was tough with all the kicking and splashing.  I had a pretty solid effort for the first 2/3 of the course, but then I looked up and realized I was about 50m wide of the final buoy.  My body keeps pulling right when I swim, very frustrating, at this point I was only bilateral breathing every 4 or 5 times and breathing to the right (my stronger side) the rest of the time.  FINALLY got back on course and out of the water.  I felt good, but really relieved the scariest part was over!  When I hit solid ground my heart rate was at a whopping 188.  I managed to easily get my top half out of the wetsuit and jog to transition.



T1
No question I have to work on getting the wet suit off.  Can't get it off the calf.  Details :P   Aside from that could be a little quicker, but I don't feel like i was taking my time.  Still a little off kilter from the swim and had a bit of trouble clipping in, but got onto the bike in a solid time.

BIKE
The roads on the bike were wet, but it wasn't raining.  The course was overall pretty flat but there was a heck of a wind.  First 10km my legs were screaming and I was peddling my heart out into the head wind with returns of only about 25-27 km/hr which was very disheartening as my goal was overall 30 km/hr.  Then we turned a corner, boom, tail wind.... 45 km/hr..... hit my stride around km 15 and didn't look back!  This was my strongest event and I passed a few people in my age group.  I'm very glad I inherited "Rosa" my TT bike from a friend, but she didn't compare much to the beauties the people riding in front of me had.  My aero position sucks and I probably need a bike fit, but for now and for these distances (and until I can afford this... http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2012/TT-TRI/TT-TRI-Series/DA4W.aspx ) it'll do!




T2 - Not much to report, could be quicker.  Forgot to bring a gel on my run so choked back half of one quickly in T2 and had to swig it back with some gatoraide to stop myself from vomiting.  God I hate gels

RUN
Sooooooooo happy I did brick workouts.  My legs felt heavy getting off the bike, but I wasn't discouraged and knew it would pass.  Didn't take long to lose that feeling, but boy oh boy did I not enjoy the first 3km of the run.  This was the only time I thought "WHY AM I DOING THIS" I don't know if my legs hurt, or my lungs hurt or if it's just because I'm poorly trained in and dislike running, but this was the only time I had a bit of a mini-breakdown.  It did pass though and I actually hit my stride in the 4th km.  It started raining again, but it felt good.  This part of the run got fun, the athletes really started cheering each other on as we passed one another, briefly talked to a lady who had the same tri-kit as me, it def got me through the worst part of the run.  Started to rain again but that felt good.  Most of the race was  the road and I just used the "just keep swimming" mantra.  Hit the last 1km which was off road and felt poopy again, but knew the end was near.  All I remember is coming around the corner and seeing the finish line and hearing chris yell "Sprint, you can get one more spot" as there was a girl not too far ahead of me, followed up by another guy yelling "ya easy for him to say".  I just started laughing so I for sure finished with a smile!  Nobody from my age group passed me on the run, so I did hold my position there which I am happy about!


AGE 6/13 splits. 750 m swim (more like 800 in my case) 2.18/100m     Bike 30 km - 31.5 km/hr   Run 8 km - 5.13 km/hr

Overall 1:55 finishing time

Met almost all my goals!! Have a new PR and will re-set my goals for Guelph!

Didn't take me long to recover at the end of race,  Had an amazing time.  Nothing beats the end of race feeling when you know you gave'r.  Now I am not nervous but excited for Guelph lake next week!!!  Thanks to Chris Rowley for standing through the rain, taking the photos and being my support crew.  I did return the favour and get up at 5am to head to the KW classic on Sunday though!  That's what sports are all about and that's what I love about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment