Thursday 7 June 2012

"If I Collapse, Pause my Garmin"


This is a quote from a triathlon forum I frequent.  Maybe I shouldn't be using it because I don't even own a Garmin (Poor PhD student), but it makes me laugh everytime, because so many triathletes are a little A-type crazy data junkies, and this quote probably isn't even a joke  :)  Plus this is a light-hearted blog just for me to track my own progress, I was going to go with something like "Pain is temporary, quitting lasts forever" - Lance Armstrong, but that seemed a little too hardcore for where I'm at.

However A-type wise, and data wise, I can't say I'm much better than the average triathlete.  For the short time I've been in triathlon (tried my first one a little over a year ago for fun, and got serious about training about 4 months ago)  I have been tracking my own progress relentlessly...... 

Running here
 http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/running/home/Lise_Nicole#


Cycling here
http://app.strava.com/athletes/333681

Overall training here
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=303337&year=&month=&day=

Triathlon is a hobby for me, but I've had endless fun in the training and obviously had an intense amount of fun at the races I tried in 2011 or probably wouldn't have continued with it.  I really had no strength in any of the three disciplines when I started.  As of 2011 when I started I had only taken swimming lessons as a child and I lack any technique in my freestyle, wasting tons of energy while I swim.  When I started swimming laps last year I couldn't make it to the end of a 50m pool, after less than a year of average training I can now swim 2km straight averaging about 2:05-2:10/100m.  Biking I took up in around 2009, just recreational MTB, and thought roadies were nuts and looked ridiculous.  Then I sat on a road bike.  It was true love.  I have embraced everything about cycling, the attitude, the community, the fashion....I love everything about it and currently own 3 bikes (mountain, road and TT).  Running was the bane of my existence.  I hated every minute of it and thought people who ran anything over 5 km were completely nuts.  I now routinely run 5 km in the morning and have gone as far as 15 km when I'm feeling good.... I no longer hate it but it is currently my least favourite of the 3 disciplines, but is nice because it is the easiest and most accessible to train.

 Aside from my triathlon hobby I have a science hobby and am completing my PhD in biomedical science at McMaster University in Canada, and further have a sports and fashion hobby that led me to my own little brain-child featured here....

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JerseyMods

That's about it for me, this blog and this journey in particular..... we will see how the race season unfolds and maybe in a few years you'll catch me at an IM?!

 my friend and I after our first Try-a-Tri  :)  The day this journey really began.......


No comments:

Post a Comment