Monday 18 June 2012

Pain is weakness leaving the body. HR and VO2 max testing

chris got me a pretty awesome present..... HR and VO2 max testing with Jeff Kehler from coachchris.com.

I've been using a heart rate monitor, its been interesting... but kinda useless without knowing my zones.

Well now I do!  It was a really fun experience, Jeff was really nice and encouraging and made me feel really comfortable with the process.

ZONE               BIKE            RUN
1                      0-136             0-141
2                    137-148         142-153
3                    149-156         154-161
4                    157-166          162-171
5                    167-176           172-181
6                    178                   183

He said for Tri's I should be training more in zone 3-4 for the bike, recovering in zone 2 and for the run for 5km I can easily do zone 4.  I think based on my average HR I've been doing alright, but i'm looking forward to using this data for my training, learning some new training sessions for both biking and running...

The VO2 max was pretty hard, I was shaking for quite a while after it, but I didn't pass out or puke, so maybe I didnt go hard enough? :P I just literally hit a point where I couldn't keep going.... I wonder if that's what "the wall" feels like once you get to HIM and IM distances... probs not cause no way your HR should be that high

jeff commented that I must be an endurance athlete, because my smile got bigger as the test got harder, but I'm beginning to think my "pain grimace" resembles a twisted smile based on my biking pics

as for my VO2 max.......62.52 mL/kg/min.... which is pretty good for a human being (mph reference..?).  I should note this is an estimate, wasn't done with a cool breathing machine thing....just a computrainer, watts/power/constant cadence, but if I get re-tested in the future in the same scenario I can compare my fitness.


No comments:

Post a Comment