Sunday 26 January 2014

How do you document real life when real life's getting more like fiction each day





Life-training update.  Those two things are intimately intertwined.  With the ironman entry, the awesome marathon finish and worlds coming up this year I’ve upped my training regime for the winter.  It has included indoor spins, by myself and with friends,
outside winter rides in all weather, winter runs in all weather, water running and a massive increase in swim volume.  I am however once again struggling with my right leg.  Its migrating pain all around the upper leg, and so far nobody can really figure it out.  I feel like my ironman goals are slipping away and going from being fairly lofty to just hoping for a strong finish.  Its been hard for me to come to terms and deal with this with all the other craziness in my life, but I’m taking this as part of my personal growth phase… or whatever. Interestingly enough my injuries and pain do seem to be quite linked to stress.  The brain-body connection is something that fascinates me, from a neuroscience and physiology point of view. This year has been an amazing year, I’ve grown as a person 10000 fold, met new amazing people and my life feels very full.  I have poured 100% of myself into the three things I love: 1)My job 2) My small side business 3) Triathlon.  I took an academic job instead of a pharmaceutical job because I believe in what I’m doing. I keep my small business going because I love it, it’s my baby, my brainchild, 4 years of meeting amazing women worldwide, sharing their stories and passions… plus it’s the only way I can support my #3 love – triathlon.  Turns out it’s not a cheap sport and it becomes more expensive the more passionate… and unfortunately more injured you are.  The past few weeks a situation has been brought to my attention that directly affects me and two if not all three major parts of my life.  #2 is quite affected, meaning #3 is affected both from a monetary and emotional point of view that isn’t helping me with my injuries, and of course when I’m stressed and emotions are running rampant my work suffers #1.  Lucky for me the people in my life are amazing, my friends (new and old), roommate, colleagues and some ghosts from my past that are making guest appearances and stepping up to the plate for me. It’s nice to know people support you and are there for you, to let you vent or blow off steam, or just be good (and very interesting) distractions.  So I will continue to focus on getting healthy, try not to stress about my race season and not getting better and embrace the amazing people around me who have never let me down. I will forget about the people who have betrayed me (an unpleasant theme in my life), as it turn out betrayal comes in all shapes and forms, but amazing people also come in all shapes and forms and as it also turns out I’m pretty sure they outweigh the not so amazing ones.  Feels good to get that off my chest



2 comments:

  1. Keep on truckin' Lise...seeing the hardwork and dedication you put into your passions I'm sure the tide will turn and good things will come sooner or later. So proud of you! You're a true inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind-Body stress definite linkage. My limited experience in Ironman....as much mental as physical fitness needed. Look at the leg situation as a mental test and how to come out of it in the best possible situation to make it to the finish line as fast as you can!

    ReplyDelete