Tuesday 23 April 2013

Destroy Yesterday. Vancouver Sun Run

Last weekend was the Vancouver sun run.  The largest 10km race in Canada... this year over 48,000 people ran it (including simon whitfield and sean astin...so cool)  What an amazingly fun race.  I ran as part of my work team.  15 people from my work of all abilities entered the race.  Of course it was also well attended my the amazing triclubbers.  I was skeptical about this race being very good with so many people but figured it would just be a cool event to be a part of, but I was wrong.  During this race they seed you based on time for where you start and I was in the second group.  I arrived an hour early and got near the front of the second group.... glad I did... here is why (that's 40000 people behind me)


Our group started 2 minutes after the elites and celebrity groups, after a minute of silence in respect for the losses in the Boston Marathon bombing.  I spent about 1km dodging people and then that was it, wide open road for running.  What an amazing race community wise, so many people out to watch, an amazing route across so many of the downtown bridges (made for a few steep climbs).  High fives all along the course, it was SO much fun.


  My goal was simply to beat my fall classic time of 46.22, I was hoping for somewhere in the 45 min. range.  I destroyed it.  43.49  faster than I ever imagined being able to run.  I ran blind, no pacing, no watch, no garmin, all feel.  My training, and water running has been paying off, and probably just the exhilaration of such an epic event.  I know a lot of triathlon club members PB'd as well, and all my work friends exceeded expectation!  My time also means I can start in the elite group next year!  I couldn't be more pumped!  Blue bib for me!


This race has got me really pumped up for the BMO half marathon in just two weeks!  AFter the race we ccelebrated in a friends yaletown condo with good food and drink and watched more people pouring in across the granville street bridge.  Go Vancouver!


No comments:

Post a Comment